ForensIT does a great job by providing such a great tool for free that ease IT Administrator job on doing profile migration when doing domain migration especially changing from different domain but remain back user old profile.
I use this tool recently on few domain migration project that would need to use a week or more for migrating user profile but with this Profwiz we takes about 2 days to complete migrate 40 workstations to new domain.
I write a mini how-to on this great tool Profwiz that can help reduce migration times as below:-
1) Identify the user profile location which needs to migrate the profile. To check, right click on the “Start” button and press “Explorer” where it shows you the exact location of the current user profile. Noted that as you need to select which profile that need to be migrated to new domain.
2) Then change your DNS setting to point to the new AD as you needed when you joining to new domain.
3) Un-join workstation from the old domain to workgroup.
4) Login to local pc administrator and join to the new domain.
5) After joining to new domain, do not login using user account but use the domain administrator account to login. After that run the profwiz program to migrate the old profile into the new domain profile.
6) Download and run the profwiz from any location from the workstation and you can see the following screen:-
Click “Next” to start the wizard
Select “Local Computer” as you running the program from local workstation, there is an option to run the program remotely but you need to know the actual profile.
Here you can select the domain that just joined and key in the new user profile on the new domain.
From here you select the profile that you have identified in step 1.
Highlight the profile and click “Next” to start the migration.
It will take about 10 to 20 minutes depend on how data you have on your profile.
Click “Next” to continue
That’s end of the migration and click “Finish” to end the wizard, then you can logoff and login to the new domain with the profiles restored.
Source : ForensIT