Fortigate with TM UniFi
Recently UniFi subscriber are increasing from Home to Enterprise users and we received a lot of call from customer asking whether they can bypass Dlink router and dial up from Fortigate. The answer is “Yes”, they can and I do have a similar post that is for Cyberoam UTM firewall to replace Dlink router. The steps are pretty similar and i write up this guide just for Fortigate fans.
The following guide will show on how to configure Fortigate to make PPPoE connection on UniFi line without using the Dlink-615 Router.
1) Login to Fortigate Web GUI
2) Go to “System” -> “Network” -> “Interface”
3) Select either WAN 1 or 2 for Unifi connection and change the setting to use static IP then provide a dummy IP that does not clash with existing network on this interface.
4) Then click on “Create New” and the following screen appear, key in the according to the screenshot below
5) The following is the screenshot of the completed setting once you press “OK” button on steps 4 above.
You can see that Unifi is connected with the Public IP.
6) Once the connection is up, you need to create firewall policy for internal to Unifi as the WAN interface has changed from WAN 1 or 2 to Unifi. Hence all the firewall policy required to reflect on the new interface. If there is any Virtual IP previously set on using WAN 1 or 2 would required to change accordingly.
The physical connection will be direct connection from the Telekom Huawei Fiber modem to Fortigate WAN 1 or 2 and remove all the cable connecting to DLink-615 router. If you need to use D-link wireless, then you need to change the setting on the D-link router.